– Dr. Katie Vo
What Are Self-Ligating Braces?
To understand what self-ligating braces are and how they differ from traditional braces, you need to first understand the components of braces. These appliances consist of:
- Brackets that are bonded to the tooth surface;
- Archwires, which are thin pieces of metal wire that connect the brackets together; and
- Ligatures, which are usually either rubber bands or elastic ties that attach the archwires to the brackets.
Self-ligating braces are traditional braces that utilize clips or brackets instead of rubber bands or elastic ties. While it’s true that traditional braces are very effective at straightening teeth, whether they utilize rubber bands or clips, self-ligating braces do offer some advantages, including the following.
- Self-ligating braces may accelerate the initial alignment stage of the teeth-straightening process.
- The clips or brackets used with self-ligating braces are somewhat easier to clean for some patients.
- Many patients report that self-ligating braces are more comfortable than traditional braces that include rubber bands or elastic ties.
- Typically, it takes Dr. Vo less time to made adjustments to self-ligating braces, which means that patients’ office visits may be shorter.
To find out more about self-ligating braces, and to explore other teeth-straightening options, schedule an appointment with Dr. Vo. She can assess your needs and recommend which of the many available orthodontic methods would be best for you.
To schedule an appointment with one of our experienced dentists, or learn more about our extensive dental services, contact our Boerne, TX office today. We are here to help you with a wide range of dental treatments so give us a call and speak to our friendly staff.