Dr. Katie Vo, orthodontist at Complete Dental Studio, is committed to providing a wide range of orthodontic solutions to her Boerne, TX patients. She recognizes that every patient is unique, and therefore there is no single method of treatment that would be the best option for everyone. In light of recent advancements in orthodontic technology, patients now have access to more treatment options for a beautiful smile, one of which is self-ligating braces.
Self-ligating braces are an innovative type of braces that utilize a unique bracket system to move teeth into their desired position. Unlike traditional metal braces, self-ligating braces do not require elastic bands or metal ties to hold the archwire in place. Instead, the brackets have a special clip that holds the wire in place. This allows for a more gentle and constant pressure to be applied to the teeth, which can result in faster and more comfortable treatment.
Additionally, self-ligating braces require fewer adjustments than traditional braces, which can reduce the number of visits a patient needs to make to the orthodontist’s office. The brackets are also smaller and more discreet than traditional braces, which can be a significant benefit for patients who are concerned about the appearance of their braces.
Overall, self-ligating braces are an excellent option for patients who want to straighten their teeth efficiently and comfortably. Dr. Vo recognizes that each patient’s needs and preferences are unique, and she is committed to working with her patients to determine the best treatment option for a straighter and healthy smile.
– Dr. Katie Vo
WHAT ARE SELF-LIGATING BRACES?
To understand what self-ligating braces are and how they differ from traditional braces, you need to first understand the components of braces. These appliances consist of:
- Brackets that are bonded to the tooth surface;
- Archwires, which are thin pieces of metal wire that connect the brackets together; and
- Ligatures are usually either rubber bands or elastic ties that attach the archwires to the brackets.
Self-ligating braces are traditional braces that utilize clips or brackets instead of rubber bands or elastic ties. While it’s true that traditional braces are very effective at straightening teeth, whether they utilize rubber bands or clips, self-ligating braces do offer some advantages, including the following.
- Self-ligating braces may accelerate the initial alignment stage of the teeth-straightening process.
- The clips or brackets used with self-ligating braces are somewhat easier to clean for some patients.
- Many patients report that self-ligating braces are more comfortable than traditional braces that include rubber bands or elastic ties.
- Typically, it takes Dr. Vo less time to make adjustments to self-ligating braces, which means that patients’ office visits may be shorter.
To find out more about self-ligating braces, and to explore other teeth-straightening options, schedule an appointment with Dr. Vo. She takes your orthodontic care very seriously and can assess your needs and recommend which of the many available orthodontic methods would be best for you.
To schedule an appointment with one of our experienced dentists, or learn more about our extensive dental services, contact our Boerne, TX office today. We are here to help you with a wide range of dental treatments so give us a call and speak to our friendly staff.